Purpose: To bring together any scouters interested in facilitating program/skills to groups attending Camp Samac for weekend rentals or weekday evenings. During this gathering we will bring together those who are interested in teaching which specific session(s) and establish their preferred availability schedule or if they prefer to establish the Program’s system similar to the Range Officers’ method of blasting out a “who is available” request.
The Opening and ERP session is to orientate everyone to the Program Cabin and what is currently available to support programming. We will also introduce the ERP (Emergency Response Plan) for events and can apply to program sessions.
The Break Out Sessions will be for the facilitators of each session to collaborate and complete a session plan template for their session (according to Outdoor Skills and Canadian Path). This will set up our facilitated programs to offer the same content to participants and make it easy for facilitators to team up and easily support each other or step in if a fellow facilitator has an emergency and must cancel.
- Saturday Sept 30 & Oct 1, 2023
- Camp Samac Program Cabin
Saturday September 30, 2023 9:00am to 4:30pm
- a. Opening & ERP Review/ 9:00am-10:00am
- b. Break Out Session 1/ 10:00am-11:30am
- c. Lunch/ 11:30am – 12:30pm
- d. Break Out Session 2/ 12:30 -2:00pm
- e. Break / 2:00pm – 2:30pm
- f. Break Out Session 3/ 2:30-4:00
- g. Debriefing/ 4:00pm-4:30pm
Sunday October 1, 2023 9:00am to 3:00pm
- a. Opening & ERP Review/ 9:00am 10:00am
- b. Break Out Session 4/ 10:00am-11:30am
- c. Lunch/ 11:30am-12:30am
- d. Break Out Session 5/ 12:30pm-2:00pm
- e. Debriefing/ 2:00pm-2:30pm
- f. Team Mingling/2:30pm-3:00pm
- g. Date: Saturday Sept 30 & Oct 1
- h. Location: Camp Samac Program Cabin
- i. Time: Saturday September 30 9:00am to 4:30pm
4. Current Sessions: Fire Lighting / Knots & Shelter / Lashing & Gadgets / Knives, Saws, Hatchets & Axes / Orienteering/ Basic Canoeing (Lewis Williams-Lead) / Tent Care (pitching, striking, maintenance, weather conditions)
5. Possible Sessions: to be add if facilitators available: Geocaching/ Laying Trails/ Camp Cooking-basic/ …suggestions…. A Craft Program(?)
6. Ham Radio Station to run as Indoor & Outdoor Archery. Thomas Schitka is the lead (licensed ham radio operator). He will receive the booking requests and will assign the qualified facilitators (Licensed). Thomas will lead the session to set up the program curriculum
7. The Nature Centre and the Wood Working Shop / They will be supported by interested and qualified Scouters similar to the RSO’s and Ham Radio Station.
Camp Samac Program Facilitating Scouter
Camp Samac Program Facilitating Scouters will be part of the Camp Samac Property Committee-Program Team working at Camp Samac, Oshawa, ON.
- Camp Samac Program Facilitators will welcome, assist, and when required, facilitate Groups booking the Program Activities, the Nature Centre (when open) or a Program Event (i.e. Family Day Fun Day).
- Camp Samac is one of Scouts Canada’s major camps providing members of Scouts Canada and the local community experience outdoor adventures and meeting venues.
- Camp Samac program aspires to providing our Scouting family with the highest quality activities, technical support, a large variety of activities and prompt, friendly support.
- We are in search of Program Facilitating Scouters to work within our Camp Samac Property Committee to provide an excellent level support to our visiting participants.
Take the required orientation and training prior to facilitating an activity at the Program Cabin or at the Nature Centre (when open) or Program Event.
Before an activity session, insure the activity equipment is complete and ready for use.
Meet and greet the group(s) coming to the Program Cabin or Nature Centre (when open).
For Groups who have booked a self-directed activity, issue the activity equipment, insure they understand the instructions and collect the equipment back.
For the Groups who have booked an activity requiring instruction, the facilitator will lead the activity with the assistance of the Group’s Scouters. Following the activity, the equipment will be collected.
Assist with Camp Samac Events as an Event Lead or Event Support.
Check the Program Cabin for inventory to insure equipment in is good condition and complete. If any equipment items need to be repaired, tag and separate those items. If equipment needs to be replaced, send a request for new items. Send notice of the required repairs and purchases to the Program Lead.
A registered/active member of Scouts Canada. Uphold the Code of Conduct.
Insure all Scouts Canada safety rules, risk management and the Camp Samac Emergency Response procedures are followed.
Friendly, outgoing, enjoys working with both Youth and adults, desire to share Scouting adventure with others.
Enjoy planning, executing and participating in activities, events or at the Nature Centre (when open)
Enjoy sharing your love for Scouting with new people.
Be an active Scouter. It is not necessary to be directly involved with weekly Youth group.
An excellent way to stay involved for anyone with shift work, semi-retired or retired.
Learn new skills and gain knowledge through trainings for the Program Facilitators
Program Activities will ideally be available weekday evenings, Saturday and Sunday.
Opportunities to facilitate will occur depending on the bookings for Program Activities. Shifts will be available according to your schedule. Set your schedule with the team according to your availability.
Have been involved in Scouting activities, Scoutcraft and a willingness to learn through training with the Program team.