Camp Samac has more than 30 species of trees an environmentally sensitive creek and good hiking trails. This property offers many secluded campsites and large open areas to accommodate up to 1,000 campers with 7 municipal water taps and flush privies. There are 11 cabins on site that will accommodate 10 to 80 persons in bunks with mattresses, all cabins are heated with separate kitchens and flush toilets. The largest cabin has 6 showers.

Short History

Camp Samac was named after the founder who donated the land in 1943. The 188 acre (76 hectare) parcel of land for the camp, had previously been Brookside Park, and was donated by industrialist Sam McLaughlin, who’s local automobile company develop into General Motors of Canada.  The camp was founded in 1946.

The camp was located north of the City of Oshawa in it’s early days, but now is surrounded by several kms of housing, close to Ontario Tech University, shopping areas, and connected by public transportation. Despite the growth in the area, Camp Samac provides a peaceful sanctuary for Scouting members and youth programs.

Two entrances

The site offers main entrances:

  • Historic Gate and Admin Entrance: 1711 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, Ontario
  • Camper & Activities Entrance: 275 Conlin Rd E, Oshawa, Ontario

Onsite are 17 buildings, 6 established camping site, a dammed lake (summer) for water activities, outdoor swimming pool, recreation fields, hiking trails, and an activities centre for program.

Staff and Volunteers to assist

The site is staffed full time by a Warden and camp Ranger. Buildings, sites and program are available year round. In summer there is fully staffed day camp and residential camp operation.

Camp Samac Historic Gate
Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top Skip to content